A study from good sense Media sheds light on teenagers’ changing social networking practices and just why some young ones tend to be more profoundly impacted by — and connected to — their worlds that are digital. The study showcases exactly how media that are social developed since 2012. It will probably come as no real surprise to parents that are many educators that social media utilize among tweens and teenagers has grown considerably in the usa.
Pay attention to this episode on our podcast: The teen that is latest social media marketing data
- The typical Sense Census present in 2015, 24% of children many years 8 – 12 had their very own smartphone. In only four years, that quantity went as much as 41per cent
- Teen smartphone ownership additionally increased considerably on the exact exact same time frame, based on the exact same study. In 2015, 67% of teenagers many years 13 – 18 had their very own smartphone. By 2019, the quantity climbed to 84percent
- The typical 8 to 12 American that is year-old kid four hours and 44 mins taking a look at displays every day in 2019
- And teens that are american many years 13 to 18, utilized activity display media ( perhaps maybe not at school and for homework) for on average seven hours and 22 mins each day in 2019
- 65% of moms and dads surveyed by Pew Researchers stated they bother about their young ones investing too much effort in front side of displays
- YouTube ended up being the absolute most used social media app among teenagers in 2019, followed closely by Instagram and Snapchat, according to Statista
- TikTok became the quickest growing app that is new US teens in 2019. 60% of TikTok users had been many years 16 to 24, based on company of Apps
Experts share social networking data and advice for moms and dads
Much more teenagers mind online to socialize, scientists are uncovering some annoying brand new trends.